Escape From the Scooby Doo Mansion

You wanted the awesome, you got the awesome!

Friday, August 03, 2007

I Love Minneapolis




Like you, I'm still trying to make some sense out of the surreality of seeing a bridge that I've crossed hundreds and hundreds of times suddenly fall into a river. Everybody here at the Scooby Doo Mansion is safe and sound, but a little freaked out. I don't really have many pithy comments that are appropriate for this blog right now, but in keeping with the lighter touch I try to exercise here, I present this random and very incomplete list of things I love about / fond memories I have of Minneapolis:
  • The massive Grain Belt sign on the Hennepin bridge;
  • First Avenue - the club moreso than the street;
  • pub-crawling in Northeast;
  • blowing my meager paychecks at Oarfolkjokeopus back inna day;
  • THD house;
  • karaoke at the Uptown VFW;
  • Surdyk's, Kramarczuks's, and the Varsity Theatre (where my first band played its first gig - we were awesome, yo);
  • every apartment I ever crashed at when I was on a self-granted furlough from my alma mater (thanks for putting up with me, everybody);
  • parties at the former House of Spitball;
  • hurling magenta napalm on the lawn of Middlebrook Hall after partying at House of Spitball;
  • most importantly, meeting a girl named AC after my other awesome band rocked the paint off the walls of the 7th Street Entry.
Feel free to add your own.

3 Comments:

At August 03, 2007 2:07 PM, Blogger Missy said...

I love Minneapolis too. Here is some of my list:

Maria's Cafe on East Franklin,
May Day at Powderhorn Park,
The Hennepin Ave Bridge,
Matt's Bar,
Various neighborhood farmers markets,
The Walker,
Seeing a movie at the Uptown and clapping with everyone at the end,
how the instant the weather is nice people come out of the woodwork and into the lakes and parks, all of the music and bands- especially at the free or low cost end, the old Grain Belt Brewery (which someone just asked me if it was a church!), Elsie's Bowling Alley,

And the pride that we all have in the combination of Prince, Purple Rain, and First Avenue and the way visiting bands will bring it up in the Mainroom and the crowds cheer as if it was the best movie ever made!

 
At August 05, 2007 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

most nights were kind of fuzzy but that last night he had total retention.


these twin city kisses.
sound like clicks and hisses.
and we all come down and drown in the mississippi river.

we drink
we dry up.
we crumble into dust.

we get wet we corrode
we get covered in rust.

++++++++++++++++++


all the sniffling indie kids.
hold steady.
all the clustered up clever kids. hold steady.

 
At August 06, 2007 9:15 AM, Blogger Missy said...

Ah.

The Hold Steady song that touches me most is "Southtown Girls".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home