Escape From the Scooby Doo Mansion

You wanted the awesome, you got the awesome!

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Seven Things About Yours Truly

A long time ago, Missy over at Ode to Humanity challenged me to post seven things about myself, or something like that. Obviously, I've been putting that little piece of homework off for a while. Seeing as I've now caught a brief moment of rest from an insanely busy schedule of brigandage on the high seas, I guess now is my chance to make good. Here goes:

1. If pressed, I would have to say that my favorite soft rock song is "Year of the Cat."

2. I can't watch the television show "Miracle Pets" without getting a little misty-eyed. Seriously. Don't tell anybody I said that.

3. Three pop culture moments that have warped me for life: 1) age 4 - finding my parents' copy of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and playing it on my little Mickey Mouse record player (the needle came out of Mickey's outstretched hand) - listening to it now, most of the album is precisely the kind of virtuosic, overbloated proto-progrock that I dislike intensely, but hearing that opening guitar riff when I was four, oh man....; 2) age 9 - watching the original BBC telecast of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy in a hotel room in Glasgow; 3) age 14 - riding my bike down to the Maplewood Mall, going Musicland, and shelling out several weeks' worth of allowance to purchase The Clash (1977) and a James Brown's Greatest Hits album (both on cassette).
Those three moments, mes amis, have in many ways sent me on the trajectory that finds me today compulsively posting album covers from Norwegian disco bands with ridiculous haircuts. I'll let all of you budding young psychologists out there figure out what the hell that means. I'm sure Nick Hornby could turn this whole narrative into a book, but I'm not Nick Hornby.

4. Speaking of Nick Hornby, there was a point in my life when I came dangerously close to turning into Barry from High Fidelity. A good friend (whose will not even be identified by pseudonym, such is her shame), who is also an admitted fan of (*shudder*, *cringe*) Matchbox 20, and rightly ridiculed by myself for being so, isn't so sure I actually dodged that bullet. Click here for your gratuitous Sonic Death Monkey clip.

5. Last weekend I went to First Avenue and a High School Dance broke out. Soviet Panda have excellent taste in hooded cowls, by the way.

6. When the zombies come, as they surely will, I just hope I'll be ready.

7. I like the cut of your jib. Also, I'm loaded for bear.

6 Comments:

At October 29, 2007 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Year of the Cat has to be played back to back with Band on the Run so we can sing "Cat on the Run" for a whole lot of sucky music about cats.

Or maybe sing Cat with the Runs.

AC

 
At October 29, 2007 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, don't ask the Pirate about the Miracle Pets episode with the abused then rescued donkey that becomes a hero.
Yes, it really happened.
It just cuts a little too close, really brings the emotions to the surface.

AC

 
At October 29, 2007 11:05 AM, Blogger Missy said...

Ah, Musicland....nice. I think the last thing I bought there was the first Weezer CD right after I saw the Buddy Holly video playing im the juniors dept of Dayton's- where all the hip records are/were promoted.

I am impressed that you did this. Fantastic!

 
At October 29, 2007 11:07 AM, Blogger Missy said...

Ah, Musicland....nice. I think the last thing I bought there was the first Weezer CD right after I saw the Buddy Holly video playing im the juniors dept of Dayton's- where all the hip records are/were promoted.

I felt the same way when I went to too much love. I went with my ladies before I wed. They were fulfilling my dream of having a "dress as your favorite Madonna" party. Many of my friends were nervous about going out dressed up like Madonna, but at Too Much Love it was clear that others had spent far more time dressing themselves. Plus many people gave us nice compliments.

I am impressed that you did this. Fantastic!

 
At October 29, 2007 11:08 AM, Blogger Missy said...

Oops, over zealous posting!

 
At October 30, 2007 9:29 AM, Blogger Lucas said...

So much personal information. Naked, you are! (And me likey!)

You know what makes me feel better about all our asinine conversations over dinner, Pirate? The fact that I KNOW how smart we all are & what talented and creative writers we all are. It just makes it OK to talk about cats with the runs! So thanks for all your blogging. Silly and random as it may appear, it really does give me a nice peek into your brains (at least before the zombies eat them!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home